Introducing Raylee and Jorja.....sisters! Raylee is our cancer baby and Jorja is her sister's keeper.

Monday, July 25, 2011

Surgery Prep

Today Raylee is on a clear diet to help prepare her for surgery. This means she can only eat things that when they melt they are see through such as Jell-o or popsicles. This isn't going to be easy. Raylee will also have Miralax mixed in all her drinks today. Miralax is a laxitive for children that is mixed in their drinks. The surgeon said the best drink to use is gatorade because it will prevent dehydration. This is all in preparation for tomorrow's surgery. We are basically cleaning her bowels. Today I will also pack our things for the hospital. Since our last ER visit I learned to take a bag to the hospital every time we go even just for appointments. Since Raylee's illness is so unpredictable I never know when she'll be admitted. You become an expert hospital packer when your child is admitted 4 times in 2 months.
........................................
When Raylee woke this morning her central line bandage was off. She scratches at it because the skin is irritated beneath it. She must have itched at it so much at night that it pealed away. I thought I was going to have an anxiety attack when I saw that. The home nurse had just came yesterday to change it. It is changed weekly. Luckily I had a kit at home and was able to change it. There are several steps you take to clean it. You have to wear a mask and nothing can touch the area that is not sterile. I hope she does not get an infection as it could be really dangerous. Remember the central line or broviac goes into the vessel that enters her heart! I don't know how long it was exposed. I felt so bad for her because she dislike the bandage change. It is scary and painful for her. Alcohol is rubbed on it to clean it, then a cleaning solution, then a skin protectant (that doesn't work) then the bandage, and then some little bandage strips to seal it around the tube that goes inside her chest. What a process--especially when she is screaming...I feel really bad because she was crying and wouldn't hold still and I had to yell at her to be still :( This hasn't been a good day. She has cried because she wants to eat cereal. She can't. She has cried for a Lunchable and M&Ms. Poor little thing...I can't wait for this to be over. Tomorrow is going to be a long day and the medical staff had better take the best care of her! I will pull all the strength I have left for tomorrow and be as strong for her as possible. I have such an empty feeling inside.

1 comment:

  1. Brittney HemingwayJuly 27, 2011 at 7:19 AM

    GOOD LUCK!!! You are doing just fine... That pic that's up of both of them is just perfect...

    ReplyDelete